MA Interior Architecture/Interior Design
Expand your knowledge on Interior Architecture/Interior Design at Berlin International
The learning environment fostered at Berlin International is student-centered and hands-on. Our teaching concept focuses on project-based learning; students work individually and in groups in order to promote professional and personal growth and the development of team skills. At the MA level, students are enabled to combine their increasing design and research skills with their growing independence as a design professional. All MA programs at Berlin International are taught in English. In combination with our diverse student and teaching body and our global network this enables us to offer a truly international academic experience.
Interior architects and interior designers have a wide variety of job opportunities. Our graduates can work on the creation and alteration of design and building projects in various scales and typologies as well as in the artistic and creative industries.
Potential professional environments include:
- Interior architecture, interior design, and architecture offices
- Design and communication agencies
- Cultural institutions
- Production design for film, TV, and theater
- Furniture manufacturing and design
- Freelance work
This master's program is a consecutive program offered to graduates of Interior Architecture/Interior Design and a bachelor's degree in Interior Architecture/Interior Design is necessary.
If you do not have a degree in either Interior Design or Interior Architecture, but you do have a degree in a closely related field within spatial design, such as Architecture, you can read more about our MA Interior Design program here.
Our MA Interior Architecture/Interior Design program is taught in English. We will require proof of your language skills. German knowledge is not required.
If your language skills are at CEFR Level B2 or above, one of the following currently valid language test certificates and scores can be accepted for your application:
- TOEFL ITP: 543
- TOEFL IBT: 74
- IELTS (Academic): 6.0 overall
- Cambridge FCE: B2
- PTE Academic: 59
- BI internal exam/ BAU 'English Language Proficiency Exam': 60/100
- IB Diploma: English A or B at HL or SL
- German Abitur
The score must be earned within the last two years.
If you have not completed high school in a majority-English speaking country (ie. USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand), an approved language exam is required in order to qualify for admission.
You are welcome to attend the internal Berlin International language proficiency exam. It will be hosted via the software MS Teams and participation can only be offered after an application to one of our programs.
For the dates of our next language proficiency exam, see the Language Requirements tab on our Admissions Page.
If you do not yet have CEFR level B2 English, and you meet the admission requirements to study at BI, you can sign up for our English Preparatory School.
The application process for studying Interior Architecture/Interior Design at the Master’s level at Berlin International is very easy. You can simply and safely share your personal information through our online application platform. After receiving a confirmation email with a link, a copy of the following documents can be uploaded:
- High school diploma certificate with transcript (German Abitur, Fachabitur or equivalent). Please also submit an official translation of the diploma and transcript into English or German if they are in another language.
- University certificate with transcript. Please also submit an official translation of the diploma and transcript into English or German if they are in another language.
- English language test certificate (CEFR level B2 or above)
- Letter of motivation
- Portfolio PDF with a minimum of 10 works from previous studies and/or professional experience in interior architecture. See the guidelines here.
For more information please use the menu item Admission.