Apply now at Berlin International
All applicants must apply electronically through our online portal for all programmes. Please complete the online application step by step, and upload all necessary documents. Once your online application is complete, your documents will be evaluated. For our programmes in Design, in addition to all mentioned documents, it is required to submit a portfolio of works. This is followed by an admissions interview. Please find below all documents necessary to complete your application.
Documents for application:
- High-School diploma with transcript (German Abitur / Fachabitur or equivalent)
- University certificates and transcripts - if applicable
- Copy of passport or European ID
- English Language Test
- Portfolio with 10 works - for design programs and Architecture only
For all education documents, we need the original copies and translated versions into either English or German.
Easily check whether you are able to study in Germany under the DAAD website.
We welcome applications from January 1 to September 1 for a start in our fall semester 2019/20. The overall application period is divided into 4 phases:
- January & February
- March & April
- May & June
- July & August
BA program fees:
The tuition fee is 7.200€ per annum plus a one-time registration fee of 100€. EU-citizens may pay the amount monthly (600€ per month). Non-EU citizens are requested to pay the tuition fee at the beginning of the semester (3.600€). The total fee for six semesters is therefore 21,700 €.
Since 2014, the purchase of a semester ticket for public transport in Berlin zones ABC has been mandatory for all students of Berlin International. Students are required to pay for the ticket along with their tuition fee.
The agreed prices for the semester ticket are:
- Fall semester 2018/19 193.80 EUR
- Spring semester 2019 193.80 EUR
All programs are taught in English. Therefore, we only need a proof of your English skills, no German knowledge required.
If your language skills are at B2 level or above, one of the following language test scores or certificates is adequate to register and start the first year of study at Berlin International:
- TOEFL PBT: 537
- TOEFL IBT: 74
- IELTS (Academic): 6
- Cambridge FCE: B
- PTE Academic: 50
- IB Diploma: English A or B at HL or SL
- BI 'English Language Proficiency Exam': PASS
If you aren’t a native and do not have an exam score to prove your language skills, you may register by mail to take the BI/ BAU Global Proficiency Examination. Please note that you can only take the BI/ BAU Global English Proficiency Exam if you get accepted and have paid the registration fee.
If you do not pass the proficiency exam, you can sign up for our English Preparatory School.
The application process for international students is simple and quick. All you need to do before applying is to check the criteria in order to attend university in Germany. Also you will need to check whether you need a student visa or other documentation. If you are interested in taking the BI English Proficiency Exam, please get in touch with us. Simply send an e-mail and we'll answer all of your questions.
1. General information:
Berlin International offers scholarships that consist of a 25% reduction of the tuition fee. A scholarship is granted for an academic year and covers the 12 months of a fall term and a spring term. Applications can be made by students admitted to one of the study programs in the two weeks following the official start of the fall term. Re-application is possible. All applications are handed in to the Students Affairs Office.
2. The following documents are required for the application:
- Letter of motivation
- New Students: Letter of reference
- Copy of last school certificate (for 1st semester students)
- OIS-Transcript of Records (for 2nd semester students and higher)
- Design students: Portfolio
3. Criteria of selection are motivation and academic excellence.
4. Procedure of decision-making:
- The Dean of the Faculty of Design and the Dean of the Faculty of Business Administration evaluate the applications and prepare a written report that includes a ranking for the applicants of each Faculty.
- The reports are handed in to the President who makes the final decision based on the results of the reports. All applicants will be informed about the outcome of the evaluation.
- The winners of the scholarships are called by the President to sign the terms and conditions of the scholarship.
5. Application period
The first two weeks of October each year. The results will be announced within four weeks.
The German federal government provides student loans for German students in need of financial support. Only a part of each loan has to be paid back. The situation of each student is evaluated individually, according to general criteria. Berlin International students can apply for financial support when they begin their studies. Students who have resided in Germany for a number of years, may also be eligible for this support. Complete information on how to apply, what criteria are evaluated, and who is eligible for financial support can be found on the German-language website for the BAföG financial support system: BAföG Information Pages - Federal Ministry of Education and Research.
Once the study programs of Berlin International have started, the university will also provide its own BAföG counseling to students. An application is possible both before and after applicants have started their studies at Berlin International.
You are welcome to apply as a transfer student for Spring or Fall semesters.
For transfer applications the following documents must be submitted in addition to all above mentioned:
- All university transcripts showing your courses, grades and credits earned
- If applicable your degree certificate
- Official module description of your bachelor study programme showing all courses and a detailed explanation of their content
The application process is as follows:
- We will check your eligibility to study in Germany
- Upon eligibility confirmation, you will need to submit the transfer fee of 100€ to have your previous studies evaluated
- You will then go through the application process and receive an evaluation of what courses can be acknowledged and whether you are accepted in general
- You will then decide if you want to accept the offer
- The final decision about your course and credit acknowledgement is incumbent to the commission of the prospective faculty
The examinations board will only review applications for credit transfers in the case of students who have begun the formal application process. Please also note, that we offer 1st, 3rd and 5th semester only in the fall term and 2nd, 4th and 6th semester in the spring term.
Our academic calendar shows all course and vacation dates as well as public holidays at a glance.