Apply now at Berlin International
All applicants must apply electronically through our online portal for all programmes. Please complete the online application step by step, and upload all necessary documents. Once your online application is complete, your documents will be evaluated. For our programmes in Design, in addition to all mentioned documents, it is required to submit a portfolio of works. This is followed by an admissions interview. Please find below all documents necessary to complete your application.
Documents for application:
- Copy of passport or identity card
- Copy of High-School diploma with transcript (German Abitur / Fachabitur or equivalent)
We also need an official translation of your diploma and transcript into English or German if they are in another language.
- If applicable - University certificates and transcripts
- Copy of English Language Test
Please see ‘Language requirements’ down below for more information.
- Copies of a portfolio with 10 works. (For the design programs only.)
Please see ‘Language requirements’ down below for more information
Description of the application process for download:
We welcome applications from January 1 until August 15. The overall application period is divided into 4 time periods:
- January 1 - March 1
- March 1 - May 15
- May 15 - July 1
- July 1 - August 15
The tuition fee is 7.200€ per annum plus a one-time registration fee of 100€. EU-citizens may pay the amount monthly (600€ per month). Non-EU citizens are requested to pay the tuition fee at the beginning of the semester (3.600€). The total fee for six semesters is therefore 21,700 €.
The student body of Berlin International - University of Applied Sciences has made a contract with the Verkehrsverbund Berlin-Brandenburg (VBB) allowing the use of the public transportation in Berlin (Zone A, B and C) at reduced prices. Contractual basis for this agreement is a strike ballot held by the Berlin International students in 2014. The basic condition of this agreement is the principle of solidarity, i.e. payment is obligatory for all students studying at Berlin International.
The agreed prices for the semester ticket are:
- Fall semester 2017/18 193.80 EUR
- Spring semester 2018 193.80 EUR
- Fall semester 2018/19 193.80 EUR
All our programs are in English. Therefore, we only need proof of your English skills.
If your language skills are at a B2 level or above, one of the following language test scores or certificates is adequate to register and start the first year of study at Berlin International:
- TOEFL PBT: 537
- IBT: 74
- IELTS (Academic): 6
- Cambridge FCE: B
- PTE Academic: 50
- IB Diploma: English A or B at HL or SL
- BI 'English Language Proficiency Exam': PASS
If you do not have an exam score to prove your language skills, you may register at firstname.lastname@example.org to take the BI Proficiency Examination. Participation is only possible after having applied. The upcoming BI 'English Language Proficiency Exam' dates:
- 24th August
- 24th September
Please note that you can only register for one of these dates, not multiple dates. Also, you can only take the BI English Proficiency Exam if you get an acceptance letter and paid the registration fee.
If you do not pass the proficiency exam, you can sign up for our English Preparatory School.
The application process for international students is simple and pratical. All you need to do before applying is to check the criteria in order to attend university in Germany. Also you will need to check whether you need a student visa or other documentation to start your studies in Germany. If you are interested in taking the BI Proficiency Examination, please get in touch with us. Simply send an e-mail and we'll answer all your questions.
1. General information:
Berlin International offers scholarships that consist of a 25% reduction of the tuition fee. A scholarship is granted for an academic year and covers the 12 months of a fall term and a spring term. Applications can be made by students admitted to one of the study programs in the two weeks following the official start of the fall term. Re-application is possible. All applications are handed in to the Students Affairs Office.
2. The following documents are required for the application:
- Letter of motivation
- New Students: Letter of reference
- Copy of last school certificate (for 1st semester students)
- OIS-Transcript of Records (for 2nd semester students and higher)
- Design students: Portfolio
3. Criteria of selection are motivation and academic excellence.
4. Procedure of decision-making:
- The Dean of the Faculty of Design and the Dean of the Faculty of Business Administration evaluate the applications and prepare a written report that includes a ranking for the applicants of each Faculty.
- The reports are handed in to the President who makes the final decision based on the results of the reports. All applicants will be informed about the outcome of the evaluation.
- The winners of the scholarships are called by the President to sign the terms and conditions of the scholarship.
5. Application period
The first two weeks of October each year.
The German federal government provides student loans for German students in need of financial support. Only a part of each loan has to be paid back. The situation of each student is evaluated individually, according to general criteria. Berlin International students can apply for financial support when they begin their studies. Students who have resided in Germany for a number of years, may also be eligible for this support. Complete information on how to apply, what criteria are evaluated, and who is eligible for financial support can be found on the German-language website for the BAföG financial support system: BAföG Information Pages - Federal Ministry of Education and Research.
Once the study programs of Berlin International have started, the university will also provide its own BAföG counseling to students. An application is possible both before and after applicants have started their studies at Berlin International.